Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dreg is FIGHT!!!


Arrow keys for movement and crouching, spacebar to jump. Use arrow keys while swinging to increase his spin. Hold down spacebar to make the jump last longer. Hit spacebar again when holding on to a wall to wall jump. A is punch and D is kick. Press A while running against an enemy to throw him. Click on the game to start interacting with it


Hello!

Oooh, I'm very excited about this update. I feel like Dreg has reached a satisfyingly fluid level of mindless violence that should keep people like myself entertained. There's still plenty of room for more moves, but I'm happy with what there is so far. So, with no further ado, here is the list of moves (I've used their technical names) and how best to pull them off:

(note: you need to get the timing right for some of these)

punch him in the face lots:
A + A + A

kick'im:
D

upper-cut:
DOWN + A

get his ankles:
DOWN + D

dirty my trousers:
D while running

flying kick:
D while jumping

kick 'im onto 'is butt (more powerful kick with ever-so-slightly different animation):
A + A + D
OR
DOWN + A + D (this one is fun - you fling him into the air then kick him off into the distance)

Sort of roll over backwards then then kick him in a sensitive place, thereby flinging him away:
A OR D while moving into him

No, look over there!
move into him and press A while he's facing away from you

slingshot! (my favourite):
Run towards him and press A just as you get to him

Double dragon rip-off:
DOWN, release DOWN and press D while rising.

Any of you who have played Oni will see that I've ripped off about three moves from the game... but they're so good, and besides, I said in my previous post that Oni's fighting system is my model for this... I don't expect to reach Oni's depth and fluidity, but don't forget, this game isn't just about the fighting.

People have been moaning about the fact that there isn't enough in the demo for them to do. But it's a demo guys!

Lots of thanks to all the people who have pointed out bugs or things that could be better - I hate to think what this game would be like now if it weren't for this blog. So keep up the good work!

Hopefully the next update should challenge you a little more - I'm going to start working on the AI.

Now this is going to be quite some work, because I now have to animate the other end of the conflict - so the thug's moves, and Dreg's reactions. It might be even longer before the next update. And I know, this one was a while in the making...

The thing is, I had a bit of cleaning up to do. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Character class was getting out of control, and it was horrible to edit. So I've separated it out into different classes, each with its little theme. That's made it much easier to work with.

I also found (as always) a few glitches with the collision detection, and I'm sure there are more to help me in my mission to go completely gray.

Anyway, hope you like the new moves, and expect a bit of a fight in the next update...

No comments:

Post a Comment