Sunday, September 13, 2009

Generic thug fights back! And he's brought a friend.


Arrow keys for movement and crouching, spacebar to jump. Use arrow keys while swinging to increase his spin. Hold down spacebar to make the jump last longer. Hit spacebar again when holding on to a wall to wall jump. A is punch and D is kick. Press A while running against an enemy to throw him. Click on the game to start interacting with it


Hullo!

Last week I was rather lazy and neglected poor old Dreg, but these last three days have seen a flurry of programming activity, resulting in the rather hectic mess you see above this.

So as you may have noticed, the thug now has a mind of his own! Wheee! He'll no longer just passively take what you dish out - he'll punch back!

Ok, so this is still very early days. I was just getting started giving the thug some AI and having Dreg react to being hit, when I thought "let's see what happens when I add another bad guy". I enjoyed the result so much that I haven't done any more work since, hence my decision to update my blog!

There's still lots more to do:

- I want to give the thug several new moves, and the interaction between characters needs some more cleaning up. At the moment the two thugs can hit each other, which seems silly (but it does add to the fun, I think).

- I also want to give them the ability to block attacks, so that you can't just keep hitting the same buttons to defeat them.

- You can get hit while rolling or performing a throw, which I want to change.

- The pace is a little too fast. Maybe the thugs should stop when they're near you and sort of side step backwards and forwards... as it is, they feel a little bit too aggressive...

- I want thugs that you have thrown to knock down any other bad guys they hit.

In any case, I have to admit this isn't really worthy of a full update, but it's been so long I feel the need to let you know how things are coming along. Please point out any bugs you notice, of course...

3 comments:

  1. A brilliant commentary on life itself. I keep getting beaten up and seem unable to do anything about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made them a bit slower now! And now I'm working on making them stupider still! Don't worry, soon you'll be showing them what for

    ReplyDelete