Monday, October 5, 2009

It's squishtastic!


Arrow keys for movement and crouching, spacebar to jump. Use arrow keys while swinging to increase his spin. Hold down spacebar to make the jump last longer. Hit spacebar again when holding on to a wall to wall jump.


Yay! More stuff!

Well I've considerably worked on the whole moving platforms thing, the best bit being the implementation of squish mechanics (that's the technical term) so that Dreg can be crushed and squeezed to your delight. It also allows for some fun pseudo-puzzle acrobatics which test your block negotiation skills (also a technical term).

It's still a little buggy in places - sometimes Dreg grabs onto a ledge when he shouldn't, and there's the occasional odd sticking to walls. I've uploaded it anyway because I need more attention!

I'm certain there are plenty more bugs. That's where you, my play-testing monkeys, come in - I want to hear all of the weird bugs and quirks you find, and I'll do my best to fix them!

This has got me really excited about the possibilities for level design. This little demo is only scratching the surface - I can make the moving lines be at any angle, and travel along a path of my choosing (I've even half-coded something that would allow me to use the paths within Flash to create paths for my platforms).

The nice thing about this being a science-fiction world, and a 2D computer game, is that I can get away with crazy level design, involving huge moving parts and whatnot (I'm toying with the idea of a giant robot, trapped and spanning across various gravity zones and feeling generally unhappy with the world).

So can you navigate Dreg through the fun? There's also a little "secret" room (not much of a secret now that you know about it) of which I hope the game will have plenty!

Tell me what you think!

4 comments:

  1. it's says there aren't any comments.... but I could have sworn I saw a whole bunch on your machine. I'm extremely confused. It's made me a little bit upset actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those comments were from another web forum. Nobody bothers to comment on the blog itself, it seems...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, a couple of bugs...in the part with the horizontal moving blocks, when i grab a ledge and go up, sometimes I can't move to the way I was jumping to, I have to jump the other way, I mean, if I jump to the right and grab a ledge of a moving block, I can't walk to the right, I must jump to the left once I'm over the block.

    And the second one...I should be able to walk over the upper moving blocks when they are close, shouldn't I? I can't, I just get grabbed on the ledge of the block I'm walking towards

    Where's the secret room??

    Nice work,
    JC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, I found the secret room.

    I noticed I can walk from the right block to the left block when they touch, but not the other way..Right block is slightly taller than left one..is that the reason?

    ReplyDelete