Thursday, November 12, 2009

Speaking fun!


Walk up to Pendy and press ENTER to have a conversation with him.

Arrow keys for movement and crouching, spacebar to jump. Use arrow keys while swinging to increase his spin. Hold down spacebar to make the jump last longer. Hit spacebar again when holding on to a wall to wall jump. Press L then use the arrow keys to look around, and press M to bring up the map (- and + zoom)

If you want to check out the combat go here



Right, time for me to start having lots of fun giving Dreg people to interact with!

So a warm welcome please for my new class: the NPC!

At the moment, the NPC doesn't actually do anything, apart from speak to you, which is pretty bloody cool in my opinion. I've made it so that their heads appear in the right place and everything! Press enter when you're near Pendy (a character from the comic strip) to see what I'm talking about.

The thing I'm happiest about is how I've integrated this into the ever-growing chaos that is my level editor. The thing is, I want to keep the mechanics of level design as simple as possible so that I can get on with the fun of inventing puzzles and whatnot.

I've also worked a lot on the underlying architecture for the HUD to work (which is my warped mind include speech boxes). I'll be adding to it as I see fit, because it's my game which makes me the boss.

Later these NPCs will animate, walk around (perhaps) and generally be very cool. I wanted to get the conversations down so I knew that was sorted, and later I'll have to integrate them into mission progress and stuff... oh so much work ahead of me! The Christmas deadline is looking ever more ludicrous, I have to admit. It doesn't help that I've clearly slowed down recently. But never fear - I will not give up! This bloody game will be made!

Oh and I've made him stripey. Isn't it cool?

Be sure to tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment