Saturday, August 1, 2009

Dreg's wonderful adventure playground


Arrow keys for movement, spacebar to jump. Use arrow keys while swinging to increase his spin. Hold down spacebar to make the jump last longer. Hit spacebar again when holding on to a wall to wall jump. Click on the game to start interacting with it


Hello! And welcome to yet more tweakage.

Amidst the adulation, praise and sexual offers of you, my multitudinous fans, a couple of hesitant words of constructive criticism have emerged.

For example, several people have whinged about wall jumping being too tricky. I don't know, in my day we stuck to these things until we got them right. I still can't reliably pull off a wall jump in Metroid Prime, but hey, this is a flash game, so I have to pander to people with a very tenuous grasp on their motor skills.

A good friend of mine suggested people might be pressing jump again before Dreg has reached the wall (the fools!) so I should have Dreg jump off the wall so long as the jump key was pressed very close to the point that Dreg hit the wall. Fair enough, I guess, so I did that.

I've also noticed several of my female colleagues moan about how difficult the pole jumping is. So I've also made that more flexible. Again, I realised a lot of them were pressing space bar too early, so I just made that acceptable. Look at me, pandering to the masses.

I also made it so Dreg doesn't go crazy with the letting and go and the grabbing of poles. Now he just falls off.

As for the camera being slower, opinion has been mixed. Some love it, some get confused and cry. So I've gone for a slightly faster camera, but I still want Dreg to sometimes appear almost upside down on the screen, just to confuse my fans. Yeah!

There have also been lots of other tweaks, mostly to collision detection, which will forever be a headache. The horrendous mess that is my "level-editor" is slowly starting to become usable, and as a result I've created an adventure playground for you all to test out the new and improved mechanics. Are you able to access all areas? There'll be plenty of wall and pole jumping for you to do. Enjoy!

Level editing is pretty fun, and has the added benefit of being possible to do while drunk (in fact, it might help). For the curious among you, here's what the level looks like:



I like the sketchy look of it, don't you?


Anyway, the next thing I want to do is draw. Lots of drawing - I want to make the background. There'll be a minimal bit of programming, but mostly just lots of clicks of the mouse, which should make a nice change.

My problem is that seeing as this is already incredibly awesome, I don't know what word I'll have at my disposal once I upload a version with funk backgrounds and what not. The English language has no word to encapsulate just how... well good it's going to be. So I'll have to invent a new one. What do you think of jodersome?

No comments:

Post a Comment